We were trying to find the right breed for us. I did a ton of research and asked friends about breeds they had. A good friend of mine had a Shiba Inu/Bull Dog pup whom I LOVED! I asked her about her breeder and she told me the breeder didn't really do that mix often, but did breed pure bred shibas. I immediately looked into it.
So throughout my journey of research I've come to find out a lot about this breed. There are some good and some not so good. Such as
These are some of the good, of course there's so much more...
- Small in size (avg. male gets to about 23-25 pounds)
- Good for apartments because they are very adaptable to their environment
- Light grooming, they have large shedding sessions 2 times a year (sometimes referred to as "blowing the coat")
- Independent and clean. Shibas do not like to mess where they eat and sleep so potty training can be done quickly and efficiently
- Smart! They love a challenge.
- If socialized correctly as a puppy, is a GREAT family dog and loyal companion
- Shibas are known to be head strong. If not trained correctly, they will try to rule the house and consider them the "pack leader"
- Can be a little weary of strangers
- Although it's in the "Good" category as well: Independent. Shibas tend to be "cat like"
But with the good and the bad, Amos and I are sure this is the breed for us.
After much research and after speaking to a few breeders and meeting one we really liked, we are fairly sure we've found our breeder. When we met her a few weeks ago she had 2 pregnant females. One female has given birth and our breeder is awaiting the arrival of the second litter any day now. We are looking for a male. The first litter already on the ground was 3 females so we are hoping the next litter will bring some boys!
Our search hasn't been as smooth as I had hoped. But it seems after months and months of wanting and waiting, in the next week we should know 100% if our selected breeder will have the exact dog we so desperately want.
If you're a dog lover and/or you're looking into the Shiba Inu, Please join me on our total shiba inu journey!